Sunday, May 9, 2010

Hawaii Quilt Guild 2010

The annual Hawaii Quilt Guild 2010 quilt show was held this past week at the Honolulu Academy of Arts.  Below are a few of my favorites.



I liked the colors in this one.  The fabric reminds me of tapa cloth.


One Block Wonder - I am going to take a OBW class this summer and am really looking forward to it.



A sample of Japanese sashiko embroidery.  





I really liked the curved seams (and the colors) in this one.


No collection is complete without Hawaiian Applique quilts.  The following examples are bed-size.  The stitching is phenomenal.  I don't know if I will ever be able to attempt a project of this size.





This is a portrait quilt.  I think they told me it was representative of Princess Kaiulani.  The detail was incredible.


This one really caught my attention.  First, I liked the colors (again).  Up close, the blocks are embroidered by machine.


The stippling was very tight and so very consistent.




In the sections where there is crosshatch quilting, two small cream-colored seed beads are sewn in EACH intersection.  These beads are sewn all over the quilt.


The makers of these quilts are true artists and I can only hope that someday I can quilt nearly as well.  

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What beautiful works of art. I know you're capable of creating fabulous quilts like these . . . you go for it, girl!

Deb

Inga said...

Great photos. Beautiful Hawaiian quilts. I am sure you can make one. Yours are lovely. It is just a matter of size (or time).
I really love the one that looks like tapa cloth. I may attempt to make something like this.
Cheers
Inga