Tuesday, August 17, 2010

New Featherweight

Insanity struck last Sunday.  I had been toying with the idea of getting beat-up Featherweight with the intention of eventually getting it restored and repainted.  So I watched eBay for months and would always chicken out at the last minute.  It's trying to find a balance between "want" versus "need" and I surely didn't "need" another sewing machine.  Then I saw an ad on the local Craigslist that was posted a month ago.  It hadn't sold yet and it lived only a couple of miles from me (so no astronomical shipping charges to pay!)


This machine is a 1946 vintage and was owned by a former professional ballerina, currently in a nursing home at age 95.  There's quite a bit of wear and tear on the bed, but she runs beautifully (especially after I removed the monster fuzzball under the throatplate!).


I knew, on my way over to see it, that I wouldn't be able to refuse and, of course, it was going home with me!  Some things are just meant to be.

2 comments:

Happy Cottage Quilter said...

You will love it! I have a Featherweight that my dear hubby surprised me with, and it sews like a dream. Great stitches and wonderful to carry to a class or retreat. I even took it with my to Paducah one year on an airplane :-)

jill said...

oh sooooo cute!!! a fine addition to your
sewing room. Glad the antique fuzzball is out -you should frame it and sell it on ebay!!