Sunday, August 1, 2010

One Block Wonder

I went to the second class and spent 4 hours trying to "retrain" my brain to see patterns differently.  Donna, the teacher, had to great ideas about how to arrange the colors and patterns in our quilts.  We were supposed to try to arrange them in such a way that our eye could see motion or flow.  I think I have too many colors in my fabric to try to come up with a simple theme to the pattern.


All of us in the class put our blocks together with the straight of grain on the outside edges.  And were feeling pretty proud about doing it correctly.  In class, the teacher would find the odd block and told us we could take it apart, turn the pieces and resew it.  Every single one of us thought that was "cheating."

I've spent the last several weeks tweaking the placement of the blocks into some sort of arrangement that made sense.  I've taken about a dozen blocks apart and resewed them.  Yesterday, I quit.


Now I have 20 strips of 27 itty-bitty triangles.  I shudder to think just how many seams I'm supposed to match in this darn thing.  I guess we'll see just how accurate my 1/4-inch seam allowance is.  If I'm close, it's gonna be good enuf!

2 comments:

Barbara said...

It's a tedious process but the OBW quilts always turn out spectacular.

Darci said...

Thanks, Barbara. One thing about these is that they have me thinking outside the box and maybe that's good!