Monday, October 4, 2010

Kamaka Ukulele

During one of their visits several years ago, I took my dad and stepmom, Marge, to tour the Kamake Ukulele factory.  I thought Dad, a violinmaker in his "spare" time, would enjoy it.  And we did.  However, that also jogged Marge's memory that she had a ukulele packed away somewhere.

After they got home, she searched and found it. It was a Kamaka dated December 1972!  But it was in sad, sad shape.  During the tour, we learned that they repair only Kamakas.  Marge and Dad sent it to me and I took it in.  That was the first week of June 2009.

Last week, I got a call saying it was ready for pickup.  When I went in today,  I overheard them saying today that there is now an 18-month backlog for repairs and only a Kamaka decendant does the repairs.  I think it is a great grandson who does all the repair work.

They did a wonderful job and it sounds great!  My boss plays a little bit so we enjoyed listening to it this afternoon.  I tried to take photos that highlighted the beautiful koa wood.




Isn't it pretty?

1 comment:

jill said...

That is beautiful!! We just saw a show about that factory -- TLC or some learning type of channel -- wonderful music and history. That is a treasured heirloom you have. Maybe you could take some lessons!! then play for us on youtube : )