Sunday, September 19, 2010

Floating Triangles

Last spring, I took a class for this quilt, Floating Triangles.  It's a fast, easy quilt to do and I thoroughly enjoyed it.  It's a perfect pattern for a "layer cake" fabric bundle (10-inch squares).  I purchased this one on eBay.  At first, I didn't like the colors very much because it's sometimes hard to tell on the internet.  And that's also why it's sat unfinished for nearly 6 months.

Using a paper template, the squares are cut into 4 pieces and then sewn back together using a center triangle from one of the other blocks.  It's really easy to put together.  The pattern calls for 25 blocks, a narrow stop border and a wide outer border.


I don't follow instructions very well because I used all the squares in the layer cake (42), put on a 2-inch stop border and a 3 1/2-inch outer border.


I thought it turned out very well until I realized there were 2 big "mistakes."  One was that the stripes in the backing were going crosswise instead of lengthwise.  The other is that the top thread I was using to quilt is actually thread for embroidery machines!  And I've used it on not 1 but 3 quilts!!!  Is there such a thing as a perfect quilt?  Or will I ever learn all the "right" ways to make them?  Maybe I should just quit sweating the details and enjoy the process.

P.S.  When folding the quilt to put it away, I discovered that one end was a 1/2-inch wider than the other.  I thought I'd squared it up properly before adding the binding, but I wonder how that happened?  Stretching during the quilting process maybe?

4 comments:

pirate said...

Tell the Quilt Police to move along. This is YOUR quilt; you design it and quilt it the way YOU want to. *Who* says that stripes need to go one way other than another? Who says they even need to go the SAME way? It's all part of the scrappy design. :-)

As long as the quilt holds up thru loving and laundry, then I'd say you made the perfect quilt. :-)

Darci said...

Thank you! You are quite right. My problem is that I'm so excited to start a project that I seldom think it through until it's too late. I know I am my own worst critic, but I am really having a great time learning to quilt.

jill said...

OH THAT IS BEAUTIFUL!!!! I would BUY that quilt mistakes and all -- and never know you didn't do it perfectly -- such a neat pattern -- and you said it was easy!! ok I will hold you to that.
But it does look forgiving as far as fabric selections. It looks fantastic!!! Great job!!
who cares about the thread -- as long as it worked for you -- I used serger thread and it worked fine also.

Leigh the sewing diva said...

it looks fantastic mistakes and all! and as mistakes go pretty minor ones too! lol
Leigh
www.thesewingdivaandherreluctantmodels.blogspot.com