Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Hawaiian Applique'

After moving to Honolulu, I wanted to learn the art of Hawaiian quilting, a form of needleturn appliqué and echo quilting. At the annual quilt show several years ago, I sat in on a demonstration by Nancy Chong of Pacific Rim Quilt Company and, subsequently purchased her DVD. 

With that, I was off and running! My first attempt was a pillow followed by a wall hanging entitled “You are In Our Hearts” gifted to my sister, Debra. My third is “Woodland Lei” and is nearly completed. My current project is a repeat of “Hearts” in blues and is three-quarter’s appliquéd. I have not yet become as proficient as I would like in the “rocking stitch” but I'm working on it.





3 comments:

Karen said...

These are just beautiful. Grandma Edna would love them and be so proud of you...as am I! WOW

Darci said...

Thank you. I remember stitching on Sue and Arvil's wedding quilt with Grandma Edna and Aunt Jon one afternoon many years ago. Treasured memory.... While living here, I knew my hips would never properly learn to hula, but knew that I could at least try learn this kind of quilting.

Rose Fitzgerald said...

Darci, I got to your blog via the instructions on making your own quilting machine. My husband has volunteered to try. I know him and I will have my much longed for machine quilting frame. I will use my old White machine on it. It runs beautifully just doesn't do the fancy stuff my new Baby Lock does. Anyway I thought I would see if you have read any of the books by Eleanor Burns. I have several and she is a dream to follow with her directions and patterns. I am getting ready to try some of her techniques on the Hawaiian patterns. Using what is know as quick turn rather than the needle turn method. Anyway love your quilts. I also turned the extra bedroom into my sewing room.
Rose