Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Table Runner

My first try at machine piecing was a table runner. Of course, something in me refused to follow the pattern like I was supposed to. I wanted to make it longer, but had NO idea how to figure out how much additional fabric to purchase and how many squares to cut. So I just dove in and cut LOTS.


I had a lot of fun figuring out the colors and the placement, but that took several days, especially after leaving all the pieces out on the cutting board one night. A nice breeze came up and blew pieces all over the sewing room. After that fiasco, I learned to use a piece of flannel (back side of a plastic tablecloth) to figure out the piecing.


Matching the seams was a bit of a challenge, but I think I did pretty well. The quilting was done using a walking foot and stitching in the ditch. Got it all done and while admiring my handiwork, I found one square was facing the WRONG direction!

No comments: