Sunday, October 19, 2008

Improvements

After playing" with the new quilt frame for a couple of weeks, Scott and I worked on some new changes/improvements. Although the original plans suggested using braces to hold the sewing machine in place, I was reluctant to use them because I didn't want them to scratch my sewing machine. However, as I was sewing at a pretty good speed, I found that the sewing machine was bouncing right off the carriage.

So Scott found these corner "thingees" and also found a liquid rubber coating. After dunking each piece and letting it dry for a few days, he installed them on the top carriage.


Same story with the handles which are made out of pvc pipe. I thought they were going to be too big. They aren't and they work great.


Using a couple pieces of doweling, Scott also fashioned a holder for the laser stylus for use while stitching pantographs. The first one we tried did not stay in place, especially when the machine was bouncing all over. This one is attached with a wood screw through a hole drilled through the aluminum tracking on the upper carriage. It's terrific.


I think my husband is breathing a sigh of relief. It's finally finished.


2 comments:

Karen said...

I talked with Arvil and he is willing to give it a try. Of course I have to wait until hunting season is over (however he did get his bull elk). I love your posts and I hope they stay on here until we can get all your improvements documented.

Darci said...

Dear Karen, Glad to hear Arvil is willing to build you one. I know you will love it. Let us know if we can help!