Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Kapakahi

After completing the table runner and the Spinning Puzzle, I wanted to take some beginning machine quilting classes which are a little hard to find on this island, especially for those of us who work full-time. Hawaiian quilting classes are much more available. A wonderful quilt store in Kaimuki, The Calico Cat, offers a variety of classes that are usually scheduled on Saturdays. I signed up for three classes (spread over several months).

The first one was the Kapakahi Quilt, a variation of the “Quilt as You Go” using scrap fabric. All three layers are quilted at the same time. Each finished block measures 9 ½ inches and blocks are sewn together with sashing strips. Although this was fun to do, as a beginner I had not yet built up a stash of scraps! Daphne, the instructor, shared some of hers with me and I now have 10 blocks completed. My first UFO (?)









6 comments:

Karen said...

I want to learn to do that...it is like a crazy quilt...I love it!

Darci said...

This one really tests my very limited imagination. It's that color thing again, I think.

Pamela said...

I helped a lady in Lolo do the scrapy type quilt. She was also very "mathematical about it and had to make sure that the scraps were the smae size...it didn't look very "scrappy" by the time she was done. Your quilts are beautiful! I wish I had the room here in my house. I'm sure Grandma would have loved seeing/helping with these quilts...think she would like to machine quilt or keep doing it by hand??? By the way, love the blog!

Darci said...

Thanks, Pamela! I added photos for the rest of the Kapakahi blocks. I'm sure this one will come easier when I'm more comfortable with colors, etc. I think Grandma would have had a ball teaching all of us no matter if by hand or machine. Thanks for your comments. I enjoy keeping track of all of you via your blogs, too!

DHess said...

I love this quilt the very most, looks like one you could just snuggle up in. Your others are drop dead gorgeous but scare me a little so I leave it where you told me to hang it and look at it all of the time. How about taking a break and going to the beach...paridise really is lost on you, you know...

Darci said...

Then I'm gonna have to make one for you. Right, Deb?