Sunday, October 5, 2008

Quilt Frame

Ok, I had a great time learning to make the smaller lap quilts, but I want to make the bed-size quilts.  Hand stitching that size Hawaiian quilt can take up to two years, working on it full-time.  I don’t have that kind of patience or attention span.  The next step is to learn to machine quilt.

Devan’s Scrappy Diamonds quilt has created another problem.  My sewing table is only 2 feet by 4 feet.  The thought of wrestling with 3 layers on quilt on that small space was more than I could face.  So…to the internet. 

Cheapskate that I am, I looked for a portable machine quilt frame that was fairly economical.  Ones that I like were the Handiquilter II, B-Line, and especially the New English Quilter.  I found there is no such thing as an economical frame.  The price might be right, but shipping to Hawaii can cost nearly as much as the frame.

So my next thought was if I could find the plans or blueprints, my husband, handy guy that he is, needed a new project and could build one for me.  Easier said than done, however.  One comment I found on the internet that was so true was something like:  “A person could find instructions to build a bomb, but machine quilt frame plans are nearly impossible to find.”

After several months of searching and revising my “requirements,” I found plans that would serve my purpose and were reasonably priced.  I first found these plans on eBay and then went to his website.  After several days of contemplating, I bought the plans, printed them out, and handed them to my husband.  He was off to the hardware store like a shot.

6 comments:

Karen said...

...and what a frame he made...I can't get my husband past the reading of the instructions! aarrgghhhh.....

Leah Day said...

Hi Karen,

Thanks so much for posting information about this homemade frame and your video.

I'm quite a handywoman and have been considering buying a Grace frame, but this will actually be more fun and I will feel more free to modify it and make adjustments as necessary.

Thanks for the information!

Leah

Rose said...

It is so nice to see you enjoying your frame. My husband just completed mine. He took my old Kenmore which was still in excellent condition, took the old footfeed and rewired it into two hand controls. I can control from the front or back. It helps that he is a retired electrical/mechanical design draftsman. He also put in the fourth rail for the batting. I have a quilt top on it now and it works beautifully. There is nothing to compare to being able to do your own quilt from start to finish. My email address is scarletterose@cox.net if you want pictures. Your postings are what had me sending for the plans. Talk at you later.

Brenda said...

Awesome. Was also relieved to see in the video that you were using a Bernina which is what I have. Was afraid until I saw your video that it wouldn't work. Can't wait to make mine but I will also be adding the 4th pole for the batting.

Becky said...

Looks like a great frame that will do the job very well. It is nice to have a handy hubby.

Anonymous said...

Hi, thanks for posting. My hubby is in the process now of making my frame. He is a little confused to how it will work, but I have told him build and I will worry about how it works..lol. I have showed him your pictures and I think it is coming together. If you have any suggestion on what he should or should not do please email me. thanks again. bova130@bellsouth.net

Carol